Thursday 16 August 2012

Seeing stars (It's time to do some Paper Piecing)

It's Thursday here in Australia.  And our winter is trying to fade into spring, although I don't think it is looking particularly nice today with a gray sky that wants to rain.

I am suffering from a rare and aggressive form of arthritis, which has forced me to forego the teaching I love, and leave my retail shop in the hands of my darling husband Jim, and our very capable staff.  Every now and then I get it into my head that I must be all better and do something very dumb.  This week I decided that I would come off my pain killers (mainly because I'd like to be able to drive a car again), and after several days to terrible pain I regret it now.  


After another sleepless night, I am going to give myself a day off, and stitch the quilt I am making for my son James for Christmas.  My new supply of paper pieces came yesterday from our supplier, Sue and I am all set to do some basting.  At Michelle's Sewing Basket we stock lots of different papers and templates at the shop and can order in any that you are after.  When I'm working on a project I get in some bulk packs for myself.

Paper piecing is a very relaxing form of patchwork by hand.  If you have never tried it I really recommend it!

You need to start by buying a template for cutting your fabric, and of course the papers.  When I first started I recycled the papers about 8 times each one, but frankly they do get a big floppy by then, and for the stars I am doing now the points are really vital so I think just 3 or 4 times for this quilt.  The template makes it possible to fussy cut, and although I haven't done any for this quilt, you can get some fantastic results.  I am going to use a Jiny Beyer border in the quilt and may well make some stars from fussy cutting the print.

Meantime for the "ordinary blocks".  The first step, of course is to cut your fabric.

Next, take one of the papers and one of the fabric pieces.  Notice that the fabric is bigger than the paper, because it includes the seam allowance.



Now pin the wrong side of the fabric to the paper, centering it better than this photo!  You really do need to pin the fabric before you baste it to the papers otherwise it shifts all over the place.


Now take a needle and thread and baste the piece. I usually use waxed quilting thread for this part because it is less inclined to twist itself into a knot.  I also use a larger needle than usual, just something like a Sharp 10.  To do this turn over the seam allowance using your fingers, and sew with a running stitch going right through the fabric and the paper.


The pointed ends get a bit tricky, I start at the less acute angle on the side, and work to the point.  Then I scoop the pointed end over toward the center of the paper.   
You need to hold this tip while you fold down the first side of the seam allowance, forming  a miter of sorts.
Baste up to this miter and just before you get to the tip, fold down the second side.
Now you have a nice pointy end, with all the raw edges tucked safely away from the folded edge, which will become the seam when we join the pieces of the star together.
You will still need to be careful not to end up with a hole in the middle of your star when you join the six pieces together, but nice pointy ends to the diamonds certainly help.

I use a ladder stitch to join my pieces, although it is more traditional to use a whipping stitch.  I also switch to a Sharp 12 needle and use either YLI silk thread, or Mettler Extra Fine Cotton.

So I'm off to find some music to listen to, or a movie to listen to and baste more diamonds while I rest and try to feel more human again.

No comments:

Post a Comment