Friday 10 August 2012

Inspiration from the Garden

It has rained so much this winter, that our garden has become a jungle!

At this time of the year, we actually have a bit of colour in our front garden and I did notice that the daffodils have already bloomed! With the Cammelia's and Daphne still out it is looking really quite lovely, except for the fact that someone really needs to spend a day trimming and tidying the garden beds. 

When we were in Europe earlier this year I was fascinated by a display of Antoni Gaudi's sketches and planning.  He is the one who designed the Cassa Bello and the Sagrada Familia.  He used all sorts of shapes from nature to inspire his work and there was an annex at the Sagrada Familia that showed this.  Once I had seen his sketches I could easily see the trees in the columns that are a main feature of this spectacular church that has been under construction for 100 years and is still not finished. 



What do you think?
He also used bone shapes a lot, things like ribs and spines, and these were very easy to spot.


I've been mulling over a quilt that will be able to convey the idea of Antoni Gaudi's inspiration, but am still a way off getting something ready to sketch.

But what this taught me is that inspiration really is everywhere!  Not only are there structured shapes for traditional patchwork, but there are shapes and forms that can be interpreted in embroidery, clothes, jewelry and so much more.

I don't think my humble garden will ever inspire a world famous architect, but is does inspire me when I paint, draw, sew or embroider.

No comments:

Post a Comment