Monday 26 October 2015

How to Make A No Sew Wreath with your AccuQuilt Go!



The Wreath that inspired me.

The Wreath I made!



I was browsing through the Christmas Shop of a leading department shop in my local Mall the other week and was super inspired by the wreath (above) that was for sale.  Being a sewist I took one look and thought "I can make that!".

I already had beautiful Rayon Felt at home, so a quick visit to a craft shop in the same mall to buy a Polystyrene Wreath was all that was required.  The whole project took just over an hour and a half, so this makes a great quick project, and because there is no sewing it would be a fab one for kids to make.

If you'd like to make your wreath you will need:

  • Polystyrene Wreath to the size you want,
  • Scraps of Felt, I used three shades of green and two shades of Red.
  • Scraps of fabric to cover the wreath.
  • A supply of plain dressmakers pins.
  • AccuQuilt Go Cutter and the Circle Die.

Start with the wreath.  I used scraps of patchwork fabric that was already cut into 2 1/2" wide bias strips.  They were left over from some quilt binding, and I always stash these scraps because you never know when they will come in handy.


No need to trim off the selvedge, just stick a pin into the strip of fabric to hold it in place while you wrap the wreath in the fabric strips.


Wrap the wreath until it is completely covered.  If you need to add in a new strip, just pin the end to hold it into position.


I didn't have enough of just one fabric so I used two in similar colour fabrics.



No get out your AccuQuilt Go! and Circle Die. Cut loads of circles.  I used the 2" and 3" size.


Now the fun really starts!

You need to fold each circle in half twice, as shown below ....

First Circle.
Fold once in half.

Fold in half again.  Then stick a pin through the corner.


 Once you have cut and folded a bunch of circles, start to build the wreath.  Don't over crowd the felt circles, because there is no need.  But you will need to fuss with them a bit to make them look good, by pulling them open a little.


I alternated the shades of green, and the red with no particular pattern ... just do whatever you think looks good.

I did find that the 2" circles were best on the inside of the wreath and on the outside edge.


Once you are done, pull the circles about until they look lush and full!


Add a ribbon to hang the wreath and you are done!


Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment