Monday 26 October 2015

Courthouse Steps Wall Quilt - A quilt as you go project.

I have just finished the wall quilt that I designed. The goal was to exclusively use the Westalee foot and the rulers from the starter pack.

To make things easier I used the Accuquilt log cabin die to cut the strips.     What a breeze!
Each block was pieced and made into individual quilt sandwiches which were then joined in twos before partially quilting them. They were then joined together in rows, quilted where possible before joining the rows. The outside sections were the last to be quilted.

We love our AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter.


The "lanterns" we're quilted with Wonderfil metallic thread.  Problems you say?  Not at all, as by using a thread stand and a thread guard I was able to avoid the twisting that often happens with metallic thread.

The lanterns were the first decorative quilting done on the quilt blocks using the spiral ruler in the Westalee starter pack.

The other rulers I used were:    
  • the 12" arc (that came with the the foot)
  • 4" arc,  
  • circles on quilts wheel 36, 
  • Spin-e-fex no. 4., 
  • simple circle 2" (all of which are in the starter pack along with a clamshell ruler that I didn't use in this project.)

I designed the patterns on paper before moving to the quilt so I could audition 







Each white block in the centre of the quilt has a different design however to give the quilt some balance I pebbled all the background behind the motifs and around the outside I used the Westalee Spin-e-fex feathers 5 .5 and 7.5 rulers. 

More to come!

Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment