Thursday 18 April 2013

2013 National Digitizing Retreat

I can hardly believe that the 2013 National Digitizing Event is over.  I have been working on this project for five months, and I'm sure you have all experienced the kind of fatigue that you feel when something that you work and plan for so hard, is over.  So this afternoon I'm delaying getting on with some work I need to do to tie up some loose ends.

The really great news is that everything about the retreat was wonderful!  Right from the minute everyone started to arrive there was an excited buzz in the air.  All the delegates got along so well, and seemed to really love the projects, even when they needed to focus really hard to achieve a good result.  I'd like to publically thank the Blessington Group, owned by the wonderful Ernest, and his "right arm" Di, who threw their resources into this project right from the start.  Their belief in me was invaluable.  I'd also like to thank Cheryl Bryant and Letitia Moore from Blessington who came and taught for me for two days.

So I know that there are lots of people who couldn't attend wondering what it was all about.  Well last year I had the idea that we needed to have a Retreat for customers who digitize using 5D and TruEmbroidery.  I took a deep breath and organised this event. 

There were two classrooms, and the event went for three days at a hotel in the city (Melbourne, Australia).  I never really got my act together with regards to advertising the event, so it was not surprising that I struggled with numbers, but with a customer flying from New Zealand, and others from ACT, WA, SA and TAS there was no turning back.  On Sunday, the first day of the Retreat I taught an all day class for guests wanting to digitize The Song of Angles, this included some intense instruction on design splitting for customers with 5D and innovative ideas for digitizing a two part design for those with TruE.  Meantime my darling husband Jim was taking boot camp classes for students wanting to brush up their basic skills with 5D Design Creator and 5D Quilt Design Creator.



 
The Song of Angels. 
 
 On Monday there were four classes, taught by Cheryl and Letitia.  We had a gorgeous Stain Glass Design, a shadow applique design called "Pretty Lady", a design creating insertion lace, and a thread velvet design.

Shadow Applique on Lingerie bag.
 
Stain Glass Patchwork
 
Insertion Lace Design on Pillow Slip
 
Thread Velvet silk slippers

Tuesday was another action packed day with four more classes, a Cutwork design, two applique designs (owls and elephants), foundation pieced crazy patchwork in the hoop and finally a Feathered Trapunto wall quilt using 5D Quilt Design Creator.
Owl Applique
Elephant Applique
 

Box made using Foundation Pieced Crazy Patchwork Blocks


Another view of the fabric box made with Foundation Pieced Crazy Patchwork Blocks


Cutwork Tulip Table Cloth


Feather Trapunto Quilt
 
Due to the success of the 2013 National Digitizing Retreat, I'm thrilled to say we will do it again next year!  So start saving your penny's and keep watching this spot to learn more details as they come to hand.

Meantime if you teach you may like to buy the "Digital Master Instructions" that come with my permission to copy and teach the lessons from the Retreat.  Customers too will be able to download digital copies of the instructions by the end of the weekend (I need a day or two to load them onto the website). DVD's will come, but it takes a bit longer to organise these so just keep watching my website for updates on stock of these www.michelleaitkendesigns.com.au.

I've also been asked to start scheduling webinar classes so that customers from overseas can do these classes with me.  I have decided that I will do this, and will endeavour to time the classes to suit customers in both North America, and Australia and New Zealand, more details on this as I organise the classes.  Keep watching the web site, www.michelleaitkendesigns.com.au.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment