Monday 18 February 2013

Fooling around with 5D Software

I've just come home, on what is another very hot day here in Melbourne.  It has been so warm and dry this year that talk in the classroom as all about counting down to Autumn.  We are so funny, aren't we, that we always want what we haven't got?

This afternoon I had my Advanced Digitizing girls in and over achiever Rachael has already digitized her challenge cushion and wanted a couple more of my Kaleidoscope designs to do, naturally I have given these to her, and the other girls too.  The class was great, and everyone was full of questions, which I love.  Especially those "What if?" questions.  Today I was asked if I had done anything on perfecting the look of animal or teddy bear fur.  I haven't but since I had some time to spare I decided to muck about a bit and see what interesting effects I could get with motif fill stitches in 5D Software.  Along the way I created a great looking motif stitch, that looked like this:



Everyone liked the effect (It is actually two motif stitches on top of each other with one mirror imaged Pfaff, 4.4D Art, stitch 11) and wondered if we could save it as a "My Motif".  Tricky, but actually no we couldn't.  So here was the solution. 
  1. We saved it as a .vp3 Embroidery file. 
  2. We opened 5D Quilt Design Creator, and brought the .vp3 file in.
  3. We we did a quick trace.
  4. Saved the new file as a picture (it will default to .wmf which is a Vector file format). 
  5. Finally we brought the new .wmf file back into 5D Design Creator as a "load vector graphic as an object in draw window), and selected "save as motif".  Hey presto a perfectly beautiful little motif. 

I will make a video of how I did it tomorrow and upload it to YouTube.


Rachael's finished Embroidery designs!

It just goes to show how much fun you can have when mucking around with the 5D Software.

No comments:

Post a Comment