Wednesday 25 July 2012

Where did that week go?

Goodness me, where did the last 7 days disappear to?
Here I was being careful to blog every day or so, and then suddenly it is seven days since my last post.


Naturally I've been busy, achieving very little!


I did get a start on some baby quilts for Sunshine Hospital on Sunday.  I hadn't slept for 3 days, and was feeling pretty yuck, so it seemed easy to sit and make four patch blocks while my Sensation worked on embroidering some cute baby designs.  I didn't get very far, but will get back onto it this weekend.  


We are making baby quilts for the newborns at Sunshine Hospital here in Melbourne.  Although it is no where near our side of town, we have a family connection there with Jim's cousin working there. The newborns that need extra care go to her department, which has just had a new building constructed for them.  Barbara (the relative) was telling me that nurses were doing their shifts then going home to knit or sew wee blankets for the top of the babies cribs.  They were both functional, and to provide some cheer to the lives of the families and to the unit as a whole.  I thought it was lovely, but was surprised that nurses were doing this without help from somewhere.  That is when I put my hand up to organize some quilts and blankets by appealing to our customers.   


There is a growing pile already at the shop, and as soon as I have contributed some to the pile I'll give Barbara a ring and get them to her.  But I'd really like this to be a long term effort, since the baby's and their families will take the quilts/blankets home with them so I'd love to make sure they had a steady supply on hand.


If you can help we'd love it!


Barbara wasn't too sure of the size she needed, because they are just to go over baby in the hospital cribs (once home the quilt/blanket is terrific for the pram and baby capsule) but around 50cm x 70cm would be fine.


So, I taught all day Monday, and had loads of plans for yesterday, until I got an early phone call from the sewing machine company to say they'd like to borrow some of my samples for the show in Melbourne starting tomorrow.  I was more than happy to send along a few things, but had one of those moments when I thought I'd do something new.  


I had digitized a large embroidery of an Oriental Lady some time back and thought she'd look great.  Small problem was that I'd never got around to test stitching her, and if you've ever digitized you'd know that you need to be up for testing at least a few times before you get it right!  No like a mad thing I decided to go for it, and since it took around 8 hrs to stitch I had just one shot at it.  Well at midnight I finished a small wall hanging.  She isn't quite perfect but darn close!


Jim has taken her (although damp) to the set up day today.  If you are at the show over the next 4 days she will be on the Pfaff stand.  


Today is a rest day, I have every intention of staying put and just working on some admin stuff before getting back to digitizing.  


But clearing my emails I found a link to some really cool Hairpin Lace instructions.  http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/26167/how-to-make-hairpin-lace

Take a look at this great stuff!






I subscribe to the Threads newsletter (from USA) and they have lots of neat stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment