Wednesday 19 November 2014

Decorated Christmas Gift Bags

I love to re-use those little brown paper bags that some shops use!  I simply raid my supply of useful (but unused?!?) sewing supplies, things like trim, braid, buttons etc and fire up the hot glue gun.

This year I was enchanted by the range of very wide ribbons at my local Costco, and grabbed a couple of rolls.  Trouble is I am wicked (not in a good way) at making gift bows, so I used the bow to decorate one of my brown paper bags.

If you'd like to decorate a plain brown bag like me, here's how:

Begin with preparing your ribbon.  If you are using wire edge ribbon you will need to pull out the "wire" from one edge.  Do this by pulling the end of the "wire", and remove it all.

Now using a ruffler foot on your sewing machine, or a gathering foot if you don't own a ruffling foot, ruffle the edge of the ribbon.  I stitched around 1/2" inch from the edge of the ribbon (the edge I removed the wire from), but you will need to work out a measurement that suits the width of your ribbon.

Draw a line on the bag using a pencil so you will glue it on straight.  

Plug in your hot glue gun, and let it warm up before gluing the gathered ribbon in place.



There are many different ways to decorate the rest of the bag, but I used a black marking pen, and drew some curvy lines towards one side, then I made some yo-yo's to glue onto the bag.  I adore the Clover range of sewing stuff, and the yo-yo maker is always in use in my sewing room.  I used the "small" size, because it suited the design I wanted to create, but there are several sizes in the range.  you will also need some fabric, scissors, needle and thread.




You will need to make a few Yo-Yo's depending on your design.  I used four for the design you see in the photo.

Use your hot glue gun to glue the Yo-yo's into position.

This is just one of many ideas for decorating your Christmas Bags.  If you are interested in more ideas for decorating for Christmas you might want to check out our Mega Christmas Workshop coming up on Saturday 6 December at Ringwood Sewing Centre, Melbourne, Australia.





No comments:

Post a Comment