Sunday 8 November 2015

Graffiti quilting

Hi all,
Well, I was going to post information about a Christmas table centre piece this weekend but I became sidetracked  (a common occurance).

On Thursday I was surfing the net and found Karlee Porter of Handiquilter showing graffiti quilting. I love doodling and I have lots of rayon embroidery thread so I thought I would give it a go.
I first started doodling on paper.  It's a bit like "zen tangling on steroids" and  has the added value of being a great relaxer.
Start anywhere on the paper, create a design and then fill it in with patterns before moving onto an adjacent area and repeating the process. The patterns do not have to be related to each other although having some similarity in different parts of the design provide balance.

















Over the weekend I spent a few hours playing on my Handiquilter Avante midarm to create a quilt.
This exercise is a great way to learn to control your long arm machine when free motion quilting.
However, don't think you couldn't do this because you don't have a long arm machine. Using free motion on your home machine you could just as easily create a graffiti quilt of your own. If you have wobbles it doesn't matter as they are disguised in the overall design. It also allows you to practise your current designs and increase your quilting repertoire.

My graffiti quilting in progress.















I am going to add more colours as I work out from the centre.
Each quilt that is made is completely different although Karlee Porter does say that you tend to develop your own signature designs. If you would like to see some of Karlee's work just Google
Karlee Porter graffiti quilting images and you should see some of her work.

Once this quilt is finished I will post a photo or you will be able to see the finished quilt at The Ringwood Sewing Centre's - Longarm Centre in Wantirna Rd. Ringwood.

.........I will get to that Christmas table centre piece, so stayed tuned.

"It's all about quilting"

Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment