Saturday 10 August 2013

Knitting with Fabric

I've been knitting a bit lately. 

Actually it isn't "real" knitting, but a bit more of a free style approach!  I have been messing around with knitting fabric, and although I love the look, I really do need much bigger needles so I can make something a bit more flowing.  This means I'll be unpicking my stuff and trying again.

If you've never had a go at knitting with fabric it is great fun, all you need to do is cut your fabric so that it is in one long continuous piece.  I know it sounds tricky but it isn't all you do is fold the fabric in half so that the selvage is together, then cut through the folded edge, but stop before you cut through the selvage.  I make mine about 1/2 wide, and roll it into a ball or onto some cardboard tubes when I'm done.  When you knit it means that you get a little "tab" when you come to the selvedge but that just adds a bit of texture.


1/2 strips cut into one long continuous piece and then wound onto cardboard ready to knit.

When it is knitted you end up with a really organic looking piece of knitted fabric.

Then it is just a matter of knitting it up.


I've knitted all this using a variety of stitches.  I think that batik fabric looks great as knitted fabric!
At the recent show at Jeff's Shed I brought a book from a favourite designer of mine, the book is "I Knitted My Way" by Teresa Dair.  You can get it on her website (as well as her funky yarns).  I will modify her designs to allow me to use my fabric "yarn", but meantime I am knitting one design in fine crochet cotton. I will ice dye it when I am done.

So that is what I'm doing each evening by the fire.

Now, do you remember that I went to a business lunch with Jane Caro as the speaker the other day?  Well she had a collection of funny ads, and here is another one of them .....

I hope it made you smile!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment