Wednesday 19 December 2012

I've been busy being creative ...

The last two weeks have just flown by.  Last week I finally got back to my sewing machine and made really good progress on some new quilts including a beautiful 3D Mariners Compass quilt.  I have to say that making the quilt blocks using this technique was the most hassle free method I've ever used, and the result is so beautiful!

This week I took a break from the sewing, and decided I needed to get some class instructions written before our youngest child finishes school for the year on Friday!  He is a darling boy, but you need eyes in the back of your head when he is at home, so digitising a complex whole cloth quilt design is not something to be contemplated!  I have enjoyed sitting with the radio on working at the kitchen table, until I realised that I had shut down my computer last night without saving my design.  Thankfully the student notes are fine, but I've had to re-create a fair hunk of the quilt today.  It isn't as bad as it seems, because the design is really lovely and I'm enjoying working on it. 

This is the line drawing of the whole cloth quilt design.


I've borrowed inspiration from a couple of sources for this quilt. I have started by using Ricky Tims' Rhapsody design technique, and will use Sherry Rogers-Hamilton's Inklique technique when I finally finish it and get it stitched!  I'm planning on painting/inking it when it is done, with inspiration coming from this picture of Sherry's quilt ... I can hardly wait!



I've committed myself to teaching more classes next year than I have been able to mange for a couple of years now.  After two years of suffering from pain, and being misdiagnosed (and then given horrid medication I didn't need) I feel like a caterpillar that has turned into a butterfly, leaving the ugly chrysalis behind.  I developed Fibromyalgia somewhere along the way, and I am pleased to say that I am managing it well.

Years ago I taught some classes on colour, helping quilters to learn how to coordinate fabrics for a quilt.  The classes were always booked out, because quilters really need to know this stuff.

As you know I have not been teaching myself as much as I used to, but I did find this excellent video to show you all how to coordinate your quilt!

Click here to view the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment